" Poets do not go mad;but chess players do. Mathematicians go mad but creative artists very seldom. I am not,as will be seen,in any case attacking logic;I only say that this danger does lie in logic, not in imagination." G K Chesterton ( one of your team,Doddles x;)
Chesterton is warning us of the dangers of an unbalanced and reductionist emphasis on reason to the exclusion of the poetic imagination and the acknowledgment of mystery.
He was opposed to liberalism.
“Poetry is sane because it floats on an infinite sea; reason seeks to cross the infinite sea, and so make it finite."
And poets do go crazy! Besides, one has to be able to understand the ineffable Meta-poet.
Well I'm really lucky then because (and I know your cronies wont agree)I have reason as well intuition imagination and insight which means I can swim across the infinite sea but when I get tired I can push the reason button and make it finite.
I left a little teacup here for my very favourite extinct specimen as a pressie:)x
Love the poets seeing "what others do not"......if that is your deck in the header photo, you are so lucky. Sigh. What a glorious spot for introspection:)
You two have a lively exchange going. I am a poet~writer~artist. I testify to the fact that I see things differently from most others. I feel things differently as well. Is this a sign of madness? Perhaps. But the writing and the painting and creating keep me sane. The process protects the psyche, the inner me.
i think all artists are touched with a bit of madness and maybe it is because of the things we see...or the chicken egg thing...the releasing though sure brings relief...
Agree..It is a cathartic process and imo artistic expression is essential like food and drink. The world would be a better place if everyone realised their artistic potential.
Dodo and I are using the term 'madness' in the sense of crazy zany surrealism rather than any inference to dangerous psychotic behaviour.We share a British sense of humour:)
Poets have to look at the world with a different perspective, like a tightrope walker sees the world from a fity-foot height. Otherwise, we would be like any other earthdweller, our feet rooted to the ground.
We should understand each other...we are a tiny inconsequential minority group in society who hold the key to the cerebral treasure box and a lot of the answers.
There's three sides to every perception.
ReplyDeleteThe Meta-poet is a Meta-philosopher - and He is obstructed. We need reason, inspiration and a touch of insanity to see things as they are.
Both poets and philosphers can have black souls or pure souls. Throw in Divine or Malign madness and you have discovered the 'secret'.
" Poets do not go mad;but chess players do. Mathematicians go mad but creative artists very seldom. I am not,as will be seen,in any case attacking logic;I only say that this danger does lie in logic, not in imagination." G K Chesterton ( one of your team,Doddles x;)
ReplyDeleteChesterton is warning us of the dangers of an unbalanced and reductionist emphasis on reason to the exclusion of the poetic imagination and the acknowledgment of mystery.
ReplyDeleteHe was opposed to liberalism.
“Poetry is sane because it floats on an infinite sea; reason seeks to cross the infinite sea, and so make it finite."
And poets do go crazy! Besides, one has to be able to understand the ineffable Meta-poet.
Well I'm really lucky then because (and I know your cronies wont agree)I have reason as well intuition imagination and insight which means I can swim across the infinite sea but when I get tired I can push the reason button and make it finite.
ReplyDeleteI left a little teacup here for my very favourite extinct specimen as a pressie:)x
My "cronies"! I travel alone.
DeleteI do agree with you and thank you. Could you make it a double whisky next time?
Love the poets seeing "what others do not"......if that is your deck in the header photo, you are so lucky. Sigh. What a glorious spot for introspection:)
ReplyDeleteAlas, that is a 20 million dollar pile and it is not mine.My abode is not as expensive as this:)
DeleteYou two have a lively exchange going. I am a poet~writer~artist. I testify to the fact that I see things differently from most others. I feel things differently as well. Is this a sign of madness? Perhaps. But the writing and the painting and creating keep me sane. The process protects the psyche, the inner me.
ReplyDeletei think all artists are touched with a bit of madness and maybe it is because of the things we see...or the chicken egg thing...the releasing though sure brings relief...
DeleteAgree..It is a cathartic process and imo artistic expression is essential like food and drink. The world would be a better place if everyone realised their artistic potential.
DeleteDodo and I are using the term 'madness' in the sense of crazy zany surrealism rather than any inference to dangerous psychotic behaviour.We share a British sense of humour:)
DeletePoets have to look at the world with a different perspective, like a tightrope walker sees the world from a fity-foot height. Otherwise, we would be like any other earthdweller, our feet rooted to the ground.
ReplyDeleteTerra firma has always been unfamiliar territory to me Semaphore.I think poets are born not made.
DeleteI liked this poem, felt understood.
ReplyDeleteWe should understand each other...we are a tiny inconsequential minority group in society who hold the key to the cerebral treasure box and a lot of the answers.
DeleteSo true... reminds me of the quote Claudia put up for dVerse. I really like-
ReplyDeletehearing sweet whispers of love
and joy in the waving long grass
that spill onto the page