Thursday, 18 April 2013

Hurricane Katrina......A Foreign Dialogue


Day 23

Dverse






This could have been a scene from  Rawanda

It beggars belief

The world's wealthiest nation

How could it come to this?




You don't think the government did not  send

 help because they were.....

Oh surely not!

They are citizens.

So it's true then...all those rumours





Has the new President made a difference?

I don't know...I don't live there!

Don't they have a bill of rights?

Somewhere

Hidden in bottom of a laundry basket

In the hall cupboard



5 comments:

  1. Oh, Katrina was a tragic time and affected many lives. It's jarring to see the photos again, but it give your poem depth and we dare not forget ;)
    The answer to the question is yes and no, but it's not his fault...;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting on this. I have never forgotten the horror of those first images.And I am going to say this regardless of the consequences ....would the help have come sooner if the victims were white? Sorry, but that was the first thing I ( and everyone else) thought of when I first saw these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does make one wonder when you think of ethical scandals that have occurred, such as the Tuskegee syphilis scandal (where black Americans were left untreated in order to track the progress of the disease).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haunting images.. and a lot of things went wrong with Katrina. Your poetry just strengthen and ask important questions... I have not answers though

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do ask an important question, one many of us has asked. It is unfathomable that we continue to devalue human life. The photos drive home the rending reality.

    ReplyDelete