
Poetry Jam and Dverse OLN
none was so loyal
as our noble beast
Toby
babysitter nanny comedian
security guard for the family
always waiting at the gate
ecstatic to see you
when you arrived home
from work
a black ego boost
full of love and devotion
that can only be supplied
by a creature on four legs
a patient companion playmate for the children
dressed
in an indian headress - residing in a toy teepee
in the childrens' room
wanted by the dog police for stealing
a can of dog food holding down newspapers
at the corner store and barking at the postman
a slave to his cat Miss Daisy Puss
who used to stretch out in his enormous bed
while he shivered on the cold laundry floor
unable to squeeze into hers
whose large head and flapping ears
was a sight to behold arising out of a Fiat bambino
open sunroof like la cathedrale engloutie
with a smile that would light up the universe
and then it was time - a terrible time
to say goodbye to him as we set sail
for foreign shores for a very long time
knowing he was being cared for
by good people
made it a little easier
and time goes by
and time flies by
and time went by
we returned home .
one day
he arrived looking very old and grey
his poor pads cut and blistered
from walking miles and miles
he was dying
wanted to find us to say goodbye
to be with the ones who had left him
behind to follow their dreams
his not very new by now owner
arrived frantic to collect him
we had to give him back
they say time passing heals all wounds
not this one
Most touching, Cressida! Reminds me of dogs and cats that have been known to travel miles and for months. They would arrive battered at the new homes of their owners who had left them. Nicely!
ReplyDeleteHank
Sad. I could really connect with this as I have lost my pet dog too recently. The poem almost ended me up in tears. :(
ReplyDeletewanted to find us to say goodbye
ReplyDeleteto be with the ones who had left him
behind to follow their dreams
oh, that is so touching and the final lines just take your heart don't they?
some losses just stay with you forever...
So many beautiful emotions touching the heart
ReplyDeleteVery moving--the loyalty of a good dog is something special. Nicely written!
ReplyDeleteOh my god, this story breaks my heart. I sat here with my heart sinking and chills going through me. You expressed so beautifully the personality of Toby. What a wonderful friend / companion he was. And then to have to say good-bye to him when you left, oh god...I can imagine the pain. But the sadness after you returned to have him FIND you again, come home again old and grey. A dog is so loyal, isn't it? I cry for you now, having to give him back to the new owners again. I have three dogs...I can't imagine... thanks for the personal share.
ReplyDeleteOh, so very sad (although this line made me smile: babysitter nanny comedian). We had to put our beloved yellow lab to sleep when she developed a brain tumor. Unbelievable that Toby found you again... such a testament to dogs (which in my opinion are the best pets).
ReplyDeleteso sad....its hard to see an animal pass as much as it is a human...they are part of the family...i love the little glimpses you gave us of who he was....having lost my cat at christmas, i feel this...
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry.
ReplyDeleteIt seems so much he gave but was yet not enough. What would he say could he write? I'll wager you know.
Oh my God, this made me cry. I thought the goodbye would be at his death but the thought of him walking so far to find you.........just ripped my heart out. I, too, wrote my goodbye poem to a big black dog. I will go and post it now. There is no love to equal our big black dogs' love, with their truest and most devoted of hearts.
ReplyDeleteAs the owner of 2 dogs, this story broke my heart! How amazing that he would come to find you!
ReplyDeleteHow terribly sad .... and how loyal of Toby to say a loving last farewell.
ReplyDeleteThank you all for your kind comments. We all have some sadness in our lives and it helps to be able to share it.
ReplyDeleteI don't have adequate words to describe my reaction to your poem about Toby ... I know it helps to share the pain. Blessings on you ...
ReplyDeleteThis broke my heart, lovely words and beautifully written.
ReplyDeleteOoohhh...just breaks my heart...
ReplyDeleteSo sad. Sorry about your loss. My yellow lab passed away in October and it was heartbreaking. My thoughts are with you.
ReplyDeleteThis broke my heart!
ReplyDelete.. and yet, a loyal love stays true and never says goodbye. This is a heartbreaker, dearie.
ReplyDeleteVery sad. Toby dear so many of us pray for you. May you rest in peace. I can relate with your grief,=. My pet Labrador passed away last month.
ReplyDeleteUsha..I am so sorry..you must be suffering terribly X
DeleteWow... this tugs the heart stings for sure.
ReplyDelete