Tuesday, 14 May 2013

Erasure Poems - Billy Collins





Nightclub - Billy Collins

I am a fool
to be in love with you
three o clock in the morning
darkness
eyes closed
twirling loose ice in a glass
slipping
into my long bebop solo



The Best Cigarette - Billy Collins

I miss one after sex
with wine on a white beach
The best were on those mornings
On the way back I would light up
My face pointed down at all the words























Another Reason Why I Don't Keep A Gun In The House
 - Billy Collins

The neighbour's dog is barking
Beethoven has included a part for barking dog
He is still sitting there in the oboe section
barking the famous dog solo

15 comments:

  1. ha. nice...love me some billy collins...and your rather short versions of some classics by him are pretty funny...love the music in that first one...makes for a tight little love poem...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smiles. Just loved the cartoon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each one made me smile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. smiling at the last one...beethoven including the barking dog solo...so cool..always cool intimacy in the first one

    ReplyDelete
  5. each one distinct and nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to do an erasure poem this week myself, but ran out of time. And here you've offered three of them! Nicely done, each one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. twirling loose ice in a glass,

    I can feel the room and the emptiness.

    Great write.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I am a fool
    to be in love with you......."

    That our whiles waste away
    in this fools game we play....
    Winding roads, circling smiles,
    all along - sadness strong -
    only to learn the same:

    The heart simply wants

    what

    the
    heart
    simply
    wants......

    Thanks for these.... brightest part of my morning yet..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your very generous comments. I have just discovered the erasure poem and intend to write a lot more because I enjoy writing them so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intend to write erasure poems for all the Shakespeare sonnets ( 150)Batches of ten ( like scones!)
      Gasp! Don't worry ..they will all be in mini micro verse:)

      Delete
  10. These are interesting.

    Ummmm .... the Dodo likes this. These poems don't have to rhyme, nor contain a number of syllables and, best of all, you don't even have to think of words.

    You discover a new, fresh insight by seeing existing words differently.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Erasure on an erasure

    I miss sex
    on a beach

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha,this is good. I think you have unwittingly developed a new poetic form.


    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the Collins poems and your blog is fun and fashionable - love the video clip of the couple riding joyously through the city together! Your poems are sparse and clear to the point. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete