Sunday, 8 September 2013

Fresh Memories






i don't want to remember
my house
the temple in the front garden
the daily call to prayer
chitter chattering outside the fence
the warung lady
the  vrooming bikes
the sacred cows
meandering through the rubbish
the dark supermarkets layered with dust
fragrant with poverty
coconut oil
sizzling chickens
kerosene lamps
men in turbans playing backgammon
crosslegged on the dirt
decorated gods everywhere
floral offerings
stone ornate walls
narrow lane ways
life
teeming with life
all day
all night

if i remember

i will return
to you

15 comments:

  1. wanting to get away..so true! feel every word here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Now this spoke to me. I've traveled some in Asia and sometimes I've hated it, but when I remember it, I am filled with such longing. It sounds like your experience of it is profound. Much enjoyed this poem and this take on the prompt. Thanks. k.

    ReplyDelete
  3. really nice close on this....i was wondering why you would not want to remember those things...and the last lines...def made it all clear...

    heh. i will tell the arrest story...its funny...later this week...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that is a lot to say goodbye to, especially the sounds and smells...I take it you loved the place in spite of the poverty and teeming life and culture...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This confuses me a bit. It sounds like longing, yet for some reason the person got away, fled poverty, etc.... but yet has to block something they love so they won't go back - they've worked so hard to get away? ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely understand not wanting to remember some things. Sometimes that is for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some things are associated with some people we would rather not remember at all ~ Nice twist at the end ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. fragrant with poverty...

    ...love that phrase. Vivid memories indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also admire that phrase - it encapsulates so well ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I could feel the push pull of emotions in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nooooo .... never go back! Think what happened to Lot's wife. And remember your reasons for leaving.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Right do not turn to salt!
    Be Free, Be happy! Erase the past.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you to all for your comments and good advice:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely work, very vivid images. this is what a 3rd world city is like, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and it's the only place where I feel really alive!

      Delete