Tuesday, 1 October 2013

That Damned Elusive Pimpernel


dverse oln

what could be more delicious
a secret world under the covers
the scarlet pimpernel
the three musketeers
all the more exciting
when 'lights out' prevails

all those characters
lifting off the pages
giving a child so much comfort
a fantasy escape route from his loneliness
presenting him with a silver tray of dreams

dreams
that one day
the beautiful Lady de Winter
would take him in her arms
his cheek pressed to her fur cape
intoxicated by her lemon linen fragrance
and know love

12 comments:

  1. Tsk .... boys have no such romantic dreams. Instead, they imagine scoring the winning goal in the World Cup Final - or being the Archbishop of Canterbury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...what kind of little boy wants to be HG?

      Delete
    2. The sort of little boy who dreams of being a Socrates; or a Shakespearian Olivier; or a Disraeli. Really, he just wanted to be a Pope - worshipped and adored.

      Delete
  2. when i was growing up...books were my escape for sure...taking me to other worlds...away from the reality of the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness for those dreams that are inspired by books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantasy escape for the boys ~ I can relate to the action themed books as my boys had their own dinosaurs & myths to read ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have six grandsons - four of them love to read and the two youngest love to be read to. Makes my heart happy. This is a very sweet poem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember reading behind the door, on top of the toy chest, tucked in a corner...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fine tribute to the joy of childhood books. I still love children's books best but I can stay up all night and read now if I want to and sometimes I do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you captured the magic of stories and stealthy stolen moments of delight. I love this :-)

    ReplyDelete