it was an impetuous year
exotic adventures
in vibrancy of tropicana
and monsoon madness
i'm leaving it behind
for a while
time to look behind
that marvellous painting
examining it
under a microscope
detached and clinical
now there is
the feeling of flatness
familiar and bland
restful unchallenging
a beige convalescence
in contrast to a cornucopia
of teeming rich colour
yet bringing some peace
to bear in dullard brown
sometimes
we need a salad
without dressing
I usually struggle when feeling flat, familiar and bland .... salad without a dressing is a great analogy! Nice writing.
ReplyDeleteThanks Loredana.
ReplyDeleteLove the comparison to salad without dressing. Many neat and colorful images here--and I like the photo as well. Pretty amazing scene. Write on!
ReplyDeleteThanks Peggy.
Deletelots of truth in those last lines on the salad without the dressing....very cool piece, with a point...
ReplyDeleteThanks Brian.
DeleteOh what an excellent ending! you made me laugh out loud :-) Life is funny that way, sometimes you need to go in neutral--great poem!
ReplyDeleteGlad you laughed Sara!
DeleteI do like the idea of a salad without dressing, but everyone has commented on that! I like the words 'impetuous year' and also 'monsoon madness.' I think I would like to leave them behind too. LOL. Great painting too.
ReplyDeleteyet bringing some peace
ReplyDeleteto bear in dullard brown
Beautiful lines here. Too much color makes a garish life. We can't always live at a high level of stimulation, we need the dull, simple browns to keep us balanced. Very good!
You are so sensible Nico!:)
DeleteLike others, I love the wind-up to this poem but also the way the words blend, how they sound and feel when spoken. Thanks Cressida.
ReplyDeleteThanks Victoria.
Deleteyes, the finish....the annointing...nice write!
ReplyDeleteThanks Rebelle.
DeleteNice analogy at the end... better no dressing than a dressing of jam :P
ReplyDeleteI agreee Frank!
Delete