Thursday, 6 December 2012

Quatern

I think black dog is coming back
The time of year for spats and flack
Shopping malls spill over the  brim
Yuletide singers carols and hymns

Going away hurry and pack
I think black dog is coming back
Presents parcels ribbons and trims
Bursting suitcase too many things

Letter box stashed unwelcome mail
Now it begins to rain and hail
I think black dog is coming back
Will pay the bills and not be slack

Mince pies puddings ice cold champagne
Another Christmas cheer refrain
House needs cleaning no help from Jack
I think black dog is coming back

18 comments:

  1. black dog usually comes sniffing round the door this time of year, ready to shadow most anything that glitters...and the cheer becomes annoying...hope the spirit finds them though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. a friend of mine and me use the term 'black dog' to describe unwelcome things we, under no circumstances, want to talk about.
    reading the poem with this in mind - it was kind of... different. lol
    a great quatern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'black dog' is a common term used for depression.

      Delete
  3. Nice work on the form ~ I specially like the last stanza, the season can feel like its another Christmas cheer refrain ~

    And that cartoon strip at the side, gave me the giggles ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One needs giggles to get through the silly season:)

      Delete
  4. Depression, really? I just googled it. It said it was "a bad omen" derived possibly from Cerberus. We don't use that expression in Texas but this is an awesome quatern! I loved the seasonal song within and the "bad times a comin" implied with "black dog" certainly worked for me. Well done! Opened up my horizons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seasonal depression--we've really made a mess of what should be a relaxing, happy time, with all of our rushing about, going into wracking debt, etc. Fine poem, and quite true as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about the debt wracked up for the season Nico.Thanks.

      Delete
  6. I think Winston Churchill coined the term
    'black dog' for his depression.So pleased you like this. I do like writing in form but if you did not run this section I would be too lazy to write poetic form from my own initiative. It is much appreciated . Thank you Gay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think for people that suffer from depression, it's even more difficult to handle it amidst all the christmas cheer and glitter...well written... and i like the jokes you added...smiles

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...oh i feel it and so would mum at home.. the coming of holidays shouldn't be depressing at all.. be inspired for the holidays, it's a must...and smiles...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having a sense of humor is helpful, anytime of the year; I know that is easier said than done for some. I had not heard the term before..both sides of the holidays expressed very well..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, a semse of humour is important. Your name
      kkkaty reminds me of kkken in " A Fish Called Wanda":)Very funny movie!

      Delete
  10. Yes indeed. A peak period for the help-lines. Nicely captured.

    ReplyDelete