Sunday, 3 June 2012

Work



that blue feeling
on sunday night at the prospect
of another week

i console myself
 knowing i go home
every evening

i look yearningly at buskers
park rangers, house painters
whistling with the radio on


 what have i done
i never wanted a career
i only ever wanted to be
an under achiever

i will become a beach bum
delighting in the curves
of rock formations
and crests of waves

 i will fish
 live off coconuts
sun myself on a rock
 swim all day long
listening to the sea



19 comments:

  1. How true! Like me realizing I'd sentenced myself to a life of never having finished my homework--or not like that at all. Yet I recognize the sigh, the looking at others, the counting of blessings and the rhythm of the dream of fishing I would never do. Thanks for this marvelous piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ''i only ever wanted to be an underachiever'- tis is.something I think about a lot. What is it about our society that prescribes that we must be driven to succeed...I mean what is success anyway? Thatnlast stanza is so romantic....but a fantasy I would relish to try and live out! For real! This was a great poem- I love it's honesty! It's realness...it's nice to know there are other people who feel this way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wil fish and live off coconuts...have a vagabond existence....there is a certain allure to that in the ragamuffin adventurous soul within me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm removing your link from Real Toads Open Link Monday. You never comment at the main page or on anyone else's work. You don't even link to a specific post, just your main blog page. You aren't participating, you're taking advantage. So, you're gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Touch of the old National Socialism in this summary execution, if you don't mind my saying so. Were you perhaps a Dominatrix in another life Fireblossom, or are you just rude by nature?

      Delete
  5. Oh tsk! and executed with such eloquence as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Fireblossom lass is a very strange creature indeed.

    I visited her website to say "Hello", as one does, just being friendly. She was unwelcoming and my posts were deleted without explanation. How rude! I thought poets were supposed to be sensitive and caring people!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to think that too before blogging:)On an international site there are vast cultural differences in what is deemed as lack of manners, freedom of expression,and unacceptable behaviour.I do not read malicious blogs any more. I only read a few that I like and hopefully those few who comment on mine feel the same way,rather than feeling an obligation to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then again, I did accuse her of having the mentality of a Mistress who wants to be surrounded by a gaggle of submissives.

      I was, of course, using British irony on what claims to be an ironic site. I may have been misunderstood.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like you...wanting to be surrounded by a gaggle of submissive vajazzled mistresses:)

      Ah British irony! A literary device that cannot be learned but only inherited and often not understood by those from foreigh parts!
      Nemo bene. I said 'from' not 'of'.

      Delete
  8. Things are not always what they seem.

    "submissive Mistresses" is a oxymoron, Cressie. (note the lower case 's' and higher case 'M'). And these "foreigh parts" are not always "vajazzled", one trusts!

    I will exercise greater care in any future journey!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used the lower case m which means mistress= a married man's lover (female)...nudnik!If you call me a poxy moron again you will become destined for a delicatessen in South Korea. Oh, I fear I have just made a non pc statement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I used the higher case 'M' and was referring to the self styled Mistress who likes to think she has a gaggle of loyal submissives adoring her whom she calls 'Lambs'.

      Being a Wolf, I was hoping to be able to play there for a time.

      Delete
    2. Oh I say Doddles...you have put me in an
      'All we like Sheep" mood.I'll put it on just for you .You can play with me. I'm much more fun!

      Delete
    3. Sheep are more to Oswin's taste back at the 'Village' of the confused.

      Delete
  10. We do play and you are fun. It's also good to get 'Lambs' ruffled and watch their 'Mistress' control them. A different type of fun. Alas, it was denied me.

    ReplyDelete