the mekong is a distant memory vinh pham in the Metro at thirteen
made magic on his violin
amazed daily commuters with his talent
as he does now on the stage
musically cavorting with
the charming little redhead
he who has become
a cheek kissing french man
plays like an angel
saigon ca n'existe plus
if he came up through the metro to being able to play like that...that is pretty amazing....i tried to google to get the full story but could not find it ...
Some of the best performers in the world have played in the Metro It is not like busking anywhere else. Many students from the conservatoire and chamber groups from all over Europe play there. To play in the metros you have to pass an audition with a special dept in the transport section( How very French!) They don't want just anyone playing in the metro. Hard to find any info about him. New York Times article 1981 Vinh Pham is all I could find.
How very nice to be able to be serenaded by such beautiful music when one is commuting. And how wonderful that someone who began performing in the metro is now on stage. I googled him too and found links to more of his music videos, but couldn't find info either. It would be interesting to read his story.
It is funny having been in the U.S. Army during that war means it will never be a distant memory for me. I just feel sorry that we have to have any wars at all and hope that some day when someone says the word "war" they will only think about the war against illnesses.
The music was very nice and for him to have such a background and to have come so far really does speak volumes for the man he is.
Thanks so much for sharing this with us for this weeks Theme Thursday. I enjoyed the music and I hope you have a great weekend with even more music to listen to.
if he came up through the metro to being able to play like that...that is pretty amazing....i tried to google to get the full story but could not find it ...
ReplyDeleteSome of the best performers in the world have played in the Metro
ReplyDeleteIt is not like busking anywhere else. Many students from the conservatoire and chamber groups from all over Europe play there. To play in the metros you have to pass an audition with a special dept in the transport section( How very French!) They don't want just anyone playing in the metro.
Hard to find any info about him. New York Times article 1981 Vinh Pham is all I could find.
Oh...I forgot...Happy Birthday!
DeleteMay you be showered with good health, good luck and love!
Thoroughly enjoyed both the music and your post, Cressida ~ M
ReplyDeleteCannot tell you how much that pleases me! Very few ever mention the music.. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful--and a great story. From obscurity to fame, rags to riches, we're always rooting for the underdog!
ReplyDeleteHow very nice to be able to be serenaded by such beautiful music when one is commuting. And how wonderful that someone who began performing in the metro is now on stage. I googled him too and found links to more of his music videos, but couldn't find info either. It would be interesting to read his story.
ReplyDeleteGlad you enjoyed this Mary. It seems that Monsieur Pham will remain a mystery.
ReplyDeleteLovely. Really nicely done!
ReplyDeleteIt is funny having been in the U.S. Army during that war means it will never be a distant memory for me. I just feel sorry that we have to have any wars at all and hope that some day when someone says the word "war" they will only think about the war against illnesses.
ReplyDeleteThe music was very nice and for him to have such a background and to have come so far really does speak volumes for the man he is.
Thanks so much for sharing this with us for this weeks Theme Thursday. I enjoyed the music and I hope you have a great weekend with even more music to listen to.
God bless.
Loved the story .. and to understand that he worked his way up from the metro.. and I so love that you blend in the french in your poem
ReplyDeleteThank you for this music, much needed at this time for me...nice 55!
ReplyDeleteOh, so balanced and I like the hope that all everything does go passé and music and French worked beautifully with your choice of the arts photos and bio.
ReplyDelete