
dverse oln
.jpg)
it was a day in june all lawn and sky
when daisies pied and violets blue
and maidens bleach their summer smocks
usually you appear at the front door
when you hear my footsteps on the gravel
there is a slight breeze
just enough to bend
the yellow tulips on their stems
sounds and sweet airs that give delight
the cuckoo then on every tree mocks
the quiet of the day far from the roar of the sun
i was too knotted up with questions
i am consumed by the wish
to spend the rest of the day
sniffing the jasmine vine
the heads of roses begin to droop
i take another sip of wine
i remember a fly kept landing on my wrist
and i wanted nothing more than to be in the moment
so let us slice a banana uncap the jam
they are not swallowing a vitamin like us
those antipodal oddballs
rather they are smoking a cigarette
under a half moon or just now
sliding under the covers
curled up in a fresh pair of cotton pajamas
make me a willow cabin at your gate
embroidered all with leaves of myrtle
undo the buttons on your white blouse
and then holding hands
slip into the deeper valley of night
i want to carry you
the way voices are said to carry over water
Find tongues in trees
Sermons in stones and good in everything
This is a lovely result of two poets ~
ReplyDeleteThe last two stanzas are specially wonderful, I want to sink into the jam and find tongues in trees ~
nice...you write with a gentle voice, esp as you bring this to a close...very soothing...and a nice use of billy...took one of his books down after your last cento using his words...
ReplyDelete:) felt evrything
ReplyDeleteCressida, I LOved this! Beautiful words, scenes, emotions and so well written :-)
ReplyDeleteI experienced Jasmine for the first time a few weeks ago in Charleston, SC... truly heavenly. I'm curious which are your words, which are Billy's. .... just came back from my poetry shelf (really bookcase) and I have "The Trouble with Poetry" - my son gave it to me for Christmas. I will have to go search the dVerse site and find your challenge or post on him. I really enjoyed this book.
ReplyDeleteActually if you don't mind posting a link below, I will come back and take a look. :)
In a cento the words should only be verbatim from the original authors, thus none of the words is mine. They belong to Shakespeare and Collins.All of the Collin's lines come from
ReplyDelete"The Trouble With Poetry And Other Poems"
The Shakespeare comes from " A Shakespeare Anthology"