Tuesday, 23 October 2012




i still laugh when i remember doing this one
you labouring away with the feet
and i the hands
giggling contortionists

i still live
around here for some of the time
our former lives permeate
that stone wall outside the Church
where we would sit and laugh
chandelier earrings dangling
to our shoulders
waiting for the bus
thinking up neat excuses
for our many missed assignments
and lectures

i do not wonder where you are now
i don't want to know
i prefer to crystallise
our idyllic innocence
as an unspoilt memory
i miss us





















12 comments:

  1. Sometimes it is better to remember those wonderful memories as they were....I agree! The reality of today, if you were to meet again, might be very, very different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss us. What a line. I so enjoyed this. I too like to remember the memory of was in some cases to the the stain of today. Some memories don't need to be messed with. They help through times when we need them. Very, very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww...sweet memories of time spent with the friends we spent such precious times during childhood and adolescence...brought back some memories as well...missing us..love that closure..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Solid in every way. Love the opening stanza, which changes style/tone in the middle, offering a different experience, only to end with such a strong stanza, highlighted for me, with, I'd don't want to know, I prefer to crystallise our idyllic innocence. Excellent write. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. smiles....really cool memories...of time shared...and i know the feeling as well of not wanting to spoil that, not wanting to know where they are now or what they are doing....felt piece...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes hurts to remember, doesn't it. Sounds like you had a great friendship/relationship. I like how you are happy to just let it be and don't mind the 'not knowing'
    Lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You "don't want to know." Very nice touch; quite refreshing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's easy to get lost in memories–to want to cling to them. very beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  9. and you know, often recalling the good and not needing to know the person now is the best for a life that celebrates the positive and moves on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful trip back into memories. I love that last sentiment--to hold on to the memories of innocence.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have that yearning too for friends of my youth but looking in the mirror I know that I am not the same except for inside and they too I expect and I would be but talking to strangers.

    ReplyDelete