A literary allusion based on
The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T S Eliot
And indeed there will be time
To wonder
"Do I dare? and " Do I dare?"
This whispered question
humming in your ear your
thoughts of braceleted arms
white and bare
Never wrapped about your waist
the perfume rising from her dress
And would it have been worth it ,after all
After the cups, the marmalade , the tea
Among the porcelain among some talk of you and me
To squeeze the universe into a ball
To roll it towards some overwhelming question
Before you grow too old, too old
You shall wear the
bottoms of your trousers rolled
walk along the beach
watch the mermaids riding seaward
Combing the white hair of the waves
And although you have wept and fasted
Wept and prayed
Your greatness flickers and no longer burns
burdened with minutiae and indecisions
" Should I part my hair behind
Do I dare eat a peach?"
"How my hair is growing thin"
you soft shoe shuffle to your loneliness
You used to hear the mermaids
singing rippling melodies across the sea
but those songs petered long ago
and all that remains are sonorous thuds
of dark waves pounding on the shell grit shore
You soft shoe shuffle to your loneliness...Yikes, how sad.
ReplyDeleteAll of this is powerful imagery, the last stanza especially so.
Thanks Daydreamertoo. Flattered...the last stanza is mine:)
DeleteMy contributions are in italics.
really a gorgeous piece...some fav parts...
ReplyDeleteTo squeeze the universe into a ball
To roll it towards some overwhelming question
Before you grow too old, too old...ha love the imagery in that...and the taking off the shoes to walk the beach...from there on it was really a moving piece for me...and do i dare...smiles.
Glad you enjoyed it.
Deleteoh nice..love the watching the the mermaids riding seaward
ReplyDeleteCombing the white hair of the waves...nice...
Yes these TS Eliot lines are memorable.
DeleteCressida, I enjoyed this immensely. I've always found Eliot to be obscure, almost unattainable (and that's just how he would have it) but your response to Prufrock is perfect. It actually makes me want to revisit the original! Kudos.
ReplyDeleteHigh praise Victoria. Thank you.
DeleteHa, I remember J Alfred Prufrock! I enjoyed your take!
ReplyDeleteThanks Mary
DeleteWriting between the lines is terminally cool, a fantastic addition to the original. I actually like the last stanza best :), it feels like the emotional crux.
ReplyDeleteThanks Anna.
ReplyDelete"Tom and Viv" a must see movie for those interested in TS Eliot.