i look over at you
your eyes are glued
to your book
your thigh is pressed
close to mine
i do nothing
waiting for you
to acknowledge my gaze
i am waiting
i move away
still glaring at you
you remain oblivious
riveted
to your book
innocent of the
pressing of the flesh
i do not believe you

killer ending! love it!
ReplyDeleteYikes, I can definitely FEEL this poem!! (Being in such close proximity on airplanes CAN be awkward, to say the least.)
ReplyDeleteAh, how the mind of fantasy can run away with signals that don't exist. Nicely done.
ReplyDeleteoh man...seriously, put the book down....walk away...or just trun your gaze to her...there are def more important things...
ReplyDeleteInteresting how the responses from the guys think it was a figment of the female imagination.So what's wrong with a bit of thigh pressing. Age old ruse for a touch up. "You must be imagining things,dear and in the grand scheme of things it is not important". I think it is. I do not like men pressing up against me. This does not happen to me when a woman sits next to me.Funny, that. Must be a coincidence.
ReplyDeleteHaving been jostled, pressed against, squashed, felt up, and otherwise accosted during many forms of transportation I immediately felt the discomfort of the speaker and know damn well he's doing it on purpose and pretending not to notice. This has also happened at the theater, as if the seats were too close. I have shoved strangers for this infuriating behavior (I even punched a guy in the face but he had grabbed my breast in the park which was, well, a bit less subtle). I am with you on this being unacceptable behavior.
ReplyDeleteThanks Anna. Yep, theatre as well.
ReplyDeleteAh... the touch up merchants... slick too aren't they.
ReplyDeleteWell said.
Slick is a good term Bren
Deletesmiles.. i tend to get lost in books....Really lost...so maybe i can understand him...
ReplyDeleteGosh Claudia...imagine the things that have been done to you while you have been lost in books:)
DeleteYou've touched on a familiar experience...created a sense of anxiety, even.
ReplyDeleteOh..Victoria. That was not my intention.
DeleteBad behavior ....
ReplyDeleteYep
DeleteOh yes. Easy to be innocent behind that book--nice write.
ReplyDeleteSuch a surprise twist at the end here. Made me go back and reread! Excellent use of this title!
ReplyDeleteThanks Peggy
DeleteTacky
ReplyDeleteI love this! Now, I sit here thinking back over the hundreds and hundreds of airplane flights I've experienced ... nope ~ don't recall anyone doing the 'pressing up against me' thing! Bummer.
ReplyDeleteHa!
DeleteSo many perspectives to this. Enjoyed it. Nice ending.
ReplyDeleteThanks Janu.
DeleteLoredana...She is not enjoying the " pressing". It is very tacky and uncool.I understand about the smiling thing. I have a mouth that looks as if I am smiling (even though I am not).
ReplyDelete