Tuesday, 28 February 2012

Lucrezia Borgia in Trousers

Muriel
saw herself
as Lucrezia Borgia
in trousers

Sparks
emanating
from her mercurial
pyrotechnic mind

Private solitary
religious yet
flirtatious
social salon
haute couture

Understood love
but could not
grasp its slipperiness
constantly eluding her

Others
saw her
as Morningside
with lace hankies

Muriel
obsessed with writing
talented
tormented
found a Christian God

She attempted
to squeeze him
ill fitting
into the missing pieces
of her puzzle

And still
she never really
knew peace

7 comments:

  1. ha, god or otherwise, when we try to fit them into our own puzzle it seldom works...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I loved not only what you wrote, but how you wrote this piece: so stark and simple, yet beautiful. I found the glimpses of characters so fleeting and wanted to know more about them! But alas, poetry =] Great job, and beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dpalasi for your comment..If you wish to know more read " Muriel Spark.The Biography" by Martin Stannard.

      Delete
  3. Blown adrift by foul winds guided by dim beacons, never finding the way. . . "but could not grasp its slipperiness."

    Succinct. Nicely done.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, if you see yourself as ms. borgia you might struggle for peace. what a fun write. i love the merging of past and present characters, still struggling with what a christian god is and how it fits in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This poem is about Muriel Spark.You should never assume poetry is autobiographical.

      Delete
  5. What a deft portrait, mostly ironic I think, but also sympathetic to the person. I really enjoyed the tautness of the lines as you described Muriel's contradictions, somewhat unconscious of what she's doing, but that's true of many of us, I believe. I found the following lines pretty compelling, because in it I see perhaps a bit of myself though also many another spiritual poet:

    She attempted
    to squeeze him
    ill fitting
    into the missing pieces
    of her puzzle

    ReplyDelete