Sunday, 5 February 2012

Les Oeillets




Little flirts with their variegated skirts, enticing eyelets,frilly can can knickers
waving provocatively. Versatile little minxes.When the Virgin Mary's hot tears fell to the dusty ground on the Jesus road to Calvary it is said you sprouted in white from the alkaline soil, a favourite of yours.

Your Oscar Wildean subversive green species get up to all kinds of naughtiness and upset a lot of church going folk down on the farm . Country Club 50's habitues in their white sport coats are not too fond of the crinkly bindlewurdle antics either.

Ugolin Soubeyran used to sing to the pink and red pretties at night, when he wasn't perving on Manon, his frankenstein face brushing your petals desperately willing you to thrive. Typically,you did not oblige him and he was found swaying in the breeze at the end of a rope on the old olive tree.Even that overpowering aroma of dental mouthwash emanating from a bunch of you crammed in his pocket could not hide that PONGE.

3 comments:

  1. whew...ha nice...has a great flow, very descriptive and smart write...tight image you leave us on as well....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little unclear about the oeillet/ponge comparison at the end (carnation/sponge?), and it's hard not to see an unpleasant comparison of Ponge to dead flowers infused with artificiality. But I will give you that the whole frilly panties part of Ponge's text does make one snicker.

    I saw Jean de Florette many years ago, and don't remember anything about it, but there's a brutish, man-handling aspect to your reference that, along with the hanging gives your parody a sour taste. I can only rephrase what I said at the pub: the best parodies are respectful of their subject. I would go further and suggest that parody is an audacious act, and one had better be very, very good. In my opinion, Ponge, even in translation, is one of the best writers I've ever come across (whether you call it poetry or prose). Do you think you've done him justice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he would love it. He is French,culturally developed..as for' man handling'(whatever that means) I can't speak for either of you.

    ReplyDelete