
dverse

you always want to be the one to drive
and have me clinging limpet at your side
i lay awake and think alone at night
of all the times you hurt me and you lied
it seems to me the price is now the wage
it's hardly likely now I will be saved
resulting in a bed already made
pointless worrying trying to save face
tired of being florence nightingale nurse
joined hands in prayer and bended knees in church
what on earth could one think of that is worse
needlework, sewing a petit point purse
i'm running away, never coming back
and so my love I'm afraid that is that
after enough hurt and pain
ReplyDeleterunning away might be the only thing that saves you
except maybe one of those needlepoint needles
if he gets the point...
nicely played cressida
....well he's the loser here...more power to her for escaping the controlling kind..
ReplyDeletewould love to hear you read this... ~
ReplyDeleteYes ...would sound good in a clipped cut glass rp English accent...technically challenged I'm afraid... so cannot put it on in a reading:)
DeleteSometimes that's all that there's left to do...run! Excellent, Cressida...you did a good job.
ReplyDeleteRaw, honest emotion. Sometimes all you can do is retreat. I completely empathize.
ReplyDeleteWell, he's getting what he deserves, I think. Hopefully she can make a better life for herself without him.
ReplyDeleteNicely worked form the prompt; a kind of anti-Valentine as an antidote to all the schmaltz.
This feels different to your other poems - more of a jauntiness to it, perhaps because of the rhyming constraints.
ReplyDeletePerhaps it is because I am not having a good day..in fact I am extremely pissed off:)
ReplyDeletePissed off or not - excellent (if sad) tale Cressida. Sometimes those menfolk just let/and get us down. Glad your heroine is walking away from it.
ReplyDeleteKind regards
Anna :o]
Thanks Anna. Not every day do I wake up, put on my pinny and rush out into the lush green fields, collecting fresh buttercups in my basket with a little bluebird on my shoulder, singing
Delete"the hills are alive with the sound of music..... tra la la la":)
You are woman, and we heard you roar; cool twist of the prompt, and clever workings with the end words; so many lovely solutions out here in dVerseland; enjoyed your take.
ReplyDeleteAh.. a real sad tale, and a common one also.. the lies is what make all the differnce... sad to hear you feeling down...
ReplyDeleteIt is better to get out of such relationships. Well paced and well-penned.
ReplyDelete-HA
P.s.- I like the header picture and also loved the one of the roses which was there before this one.
A sad but all too often true tale. The end of a romance differs from my tentative beginning one. Well done. You took me there.
ReplyDeleteVery nicely played...and I loved the fish cartoon too!
ReplyDeleteThis was well crafted and I can feel emotions in the words..those nights
ReplyDeletecan be long when you're awake with thoughts running through your brain..
Awesome use of the prompt words! Every line seemed to flow easily as you told the sad story. Yes, love the fishbowl pic!
ReplyDeletefor awhile there I was worried, but the final two lines relinquished the possibility of remaining in the made bed.
ReplyDeletenice write!
Well played. I love the "clinging limpet at your side"--great image.Flows beautifully from line to line, emotion to emotion. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteVery well penned emotions, struggle and pent up frustrations in the effective use of MTB rhymes. Like that she breaks free at the end.
ReplyDelete