Monday, 2 December 2013

Quatern For Henri An Existential Cat


dverse OLN

they called me henri not hugo
indifferent to my few wishes
they have no understanding of
the existential gifted cat

randomly they chose any name
they called me henri not hugo
not recognising my talent
and what i offer to mankind

they choose to keep a frou frou
and budgerigars in cages
they called me henri not hugo
victor hugo is my hero

i suffer the hell of tin  food
no foie gras or pate campagne
what is the point of living when
they called me henri not hugo

30 comments:

  1. lol. quelle fou (excusez-moi if I mangled my high school Francais, svp) ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a spoof on all those angst black and white French movies of the Nouvelle Vague period. It has got over 8 million hits!

      Delete
    2. d'accord. I've seen several and think they are hilarious :)

      Delete
    3. You're very cool grapeling...what else you got tucked away there in your head that I can pilfer for poems? Must remind myself to be very careful in the future of using the word " thing" around you:)

      Delete
  2. …snacks just out of reach… so funny. Poor Henri. I have one just like him (but orange)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paw Henri is suffering total existential torment:)

      Delete
  3. ha. tinned food, just cant imagine that tasting all that good you know....its a tough life for a cat eh? smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say this cat has 'catittude.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how to do French emoticons but I'm doing it.

      Delete
  5. I fear he will one day awaken having morphed into a bug...change his name before it is too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah.... you have been rereading your Kafka I see! Impressed. You're in with a chance:)

      Delete
  6. oha....they didn't understand her real identity... cats surely have their own mind of how things should be...smiles.... oh and i love foie gras...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely - but I can only imagine a cat suffering such existential schism. Poor thing. And sound ooh, so French, with the attitude, & dietary expectations. I really enjoyed this. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fine use of the form - and you made me smile a lot. Paw Henri; it's tough being a cat.

    Have you read Neruda's Ode to a Cat? I think you'd enjoy it.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I did enjoy it. You must read "Jubilate Agno' by Christopher Smart who wrote a poem for his cat Jeoffrey when he was in the lunatic asylum in the 1700s
      Jeoffrey is the most famous cat in English Literature. Sorry Henri!

      Delete
  9. life without foie gras and champagne - a bitter thing indeed. I suppose sometimes mice must suffice :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh poor little thing... hmmm should you really say that.? My sincere apologies.. Loved the read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henri is pained by patronising remarks from the haute bourgeoisie! :)

      Delete
  11. Lovely this Cressida and the insult of Henri!
    This post made me google. When a young thing - eight, maybe nine - my family holidayed in Guernsey and for some reason - don't know what (as I didn't know of him then) gazing at the statue of Victor Hugo has firmly imprinted in my memory banks. (Here he is: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Victor_Hugo_statue_Guernsey.jpg )
    How strange what we remember and how wonderful your words elicited this memory.
    Kind regards
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand why this imposing statue made such an impression on you at a young age. Henri had that same experience:)

      Delete
  12. Just to add to his woes, I think the cat's gay too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Henri is too ethereal to dwell on such sordid matters as sex. Besides he has been castrated. There is no Eloise or Alphonse in his life.

    ReplyDelete