Saturday, 24 March 2012

Domestic Bliss


photo by James Rainsford

early morning on my way to work
murmurings of birds and insects
punctuating the quiet
the only time
precious time
for solitary thought
serenity
bliss

who would have thought
supreme luxury
was something
something so simple
undervalued
by those
who have all the time
that I once had

From one cell to another
a diurnal barn dance
living out
a twenty year sentence
the hunter gatherer brings food
to the table amid the squawks and chaos
that he calls home

10 comments:

  1. you describe the sights and sounds very well


    suffocated reflction

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh...yeah, its a beast of a grind...and some times seems like a life sentence...those moments of peace are a treasure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent feel and tone to this. Adding the drama of the previous convict walking to work is very cool and adds a unique psychological angle to the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will offend the sisterhood, Brian, but I feel the contribution to the family by the men is not always recognised.And, it is a struggle for them, a lot of the time.

    You almost always understand the message I am delivering in my work...this means,the poems are either very simple or you are very intuitive to me:) In either case. I appreciate your regular visits and Thank you!.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, the quiet bliss of solitude. A brilliant take on the photo & thanks for the recognition that some men "Live lives of quite desperation." We all need our own space to fully grow. Thank you for sharing this perceptive poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesn't offend this sister, C. I look to balance and appreciation for both partner's contribution. Would have loved to have had such a commute when I was working.

    ReplyDelete
  7. See, now I have a slightly different take on all this. Am I odd in having experienced self fulfillment in working to provide for my family? In looking forward to going home to the chaos and sqwarking? It's what gave meaning to work for me and kept me going when I wanted to walk away from the 'office'.

    Life at work and home had it challenges, still does, and individual space was and is essential. But never a treadmill and never a sentence.

    Dodo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gasp....quel surprise...you have found my poetry site.

    Your experience is not shared by everyone Doddles.You are one of the lucky ones.

    "Am I odd.....family?"

    No...I don't think so.It's the dazzle of your halo that is sometimes a little overwhelming for we flawed mortals:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was just a little prickly and provocative rather than sarcastic.It is nice talking to you too. I am glad you found me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did I find you or you me?

    I meant to ask your leave before posting as it felt like I was intruding into your world without permission but most times I tend to act and then think.

    And about my earlier comment, I try to focus on the 'silver lining', not the 'cloud'. Not a hallo, just a walk of hope.

    ReplyDelete